Using Wi-Fi Import/Export
Wi-Fi Import/Export is a technology integrated into FatWatch which allows you to copy your weight history to and from a computer over Wi-Fi.
Be sure your iPhone or iPod touch and your computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
On your device, you can verify the name of the Wi-Fi network by launching the Settings app.
If your computer has Wi-Fi capability, but you do not usually connect to a Wi-Fi network, you can create a temporary network on your computer, then connect to it from your device. For more information, see:
Access FatWatch through your web browser
- On your device, launch FatWatch.
- Tap the "More" tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the "Wi-Fi Import/Export" button. After a short delay, a web address should appear (e.g.,
- On your computer, open your web browser.
- If you computer supports Bonjour networking (e.g., Safari), you can quickly find FatWatch using Bonjour. Otherwise, enter the web address into your browser's address bar.
- The FatWatch Wi-Fi Import/Export page should appear in your browser window.
Exporting weight history from FatWatch
To copy weight history from FatWatch to your computer, simply click the "Export Weight History" button in the Export section of the page. A file named "weight.csv" will be downloaded to your computer.
This file contains your entire weight history as comma separated fields, and can be viewed in any text editor or imported into a spreadsheet such as Excel, Numbers, or Google Docs.
The file can also be saved as a backup and imported back into FatWatch at a later date, using the import procedure described below.
Importing weight history into FatWatch
FatWatch accepts any comma separated values (CSV) file previous exported from FatWatch, so if you are importing from a backup, no special action is necessary.
If you are importing data from Eat Watch for Palm OS, you can create a CSV file from the Palm database file.
- Using the steps above, connect to the FatWatch Wi-Fi Import/Export page.
- Click the "Choose File" button and select the file containing your weight history.
- Click the Send button to transfer the file to your device.
- A new page will open allowing you to specify which columns from the file go into what parts of FatWatch.
- Merge or Replace:
- If you select Merge, weights from the file will be copied over weights in FatWatch if they are on the same day, but other days will be left alone. Use Merge if you have been using FatWatch for recent measurements but want to combine it with past data from another source.
- If you select Replace, all weights on the device will be deleted and replaced with weights from the file. Use Replace if you are restoring from a backup and don't want any old data on your device to be preserved.
- Click the "Import" button.
- The device will perform the import and report how many lines contained useful data, and how many were skipped. Note that importing a file previously exported from FatWatch will report 1 line skipped; this is referring to the column headers at the top of the file and does not indicate a problem.
If FatWatch does not import any data from your files, it may not recognize the date format. FatWatch will always recognize dates formatted as YYYY-MM-DD.
Weight values will be interpreted as pounds if you have selected Pounds or Stones as your preferred weight unit; or kilograms if you have selected Kilograms as your preferred weight unit.